Living in New England we deal with the reality that from time to time there will be large snow accumulations making it difficult, and inadvisable to leave our homes. There’s a never ending list of things we can work on as we try to become better athletes and CrossFitters, so even if you’re trapped at home, there’s something you can practice. I came up with a list of 5 things off the top of my head, some specific, and some more general, that you can work on at home, no equipment required.
- A perfect air squat. In CrossFit we’re striving for virtuosity, performing the common uncommonly well. The air squat is our most fundamental movement, and serves as a building block for countless others. Work on keeping your weight back, knees out, and a solid, upright torso (this video is a good, quick one for air squat review WMV/MOV). Mastering the performance points and movement patterns of the air squat will reward you as you practice more complex movements.
- Upper body and core strength. Push-ups and sit-ups are a great place to start. Take it a step further and work on static holds, planks, side planks, hollow holds, and L-sits.
- Handstands. Want to develop a handstand push-up, free standing handstand, or handstand walk? All you need is a wall. Practice wall climbs, static handstand holds, or kicking up into a handstand. No wall, no problem, working on a crane pose or headstand can be done with no support. These exercises only begin to scratch the surface of various ways you can progress towards your upside down goal.
- Pistols. Even very good athletes struggle with a single leg squat, but it’s a movement that can be practiced anywhere in a very short amount of time. Working on pistols can help develop balance and coordination, as well as improving your two legged squat mechanics.
- Mobility. You all know I love me some Mobility WOD. Everything we do, this list included, can benefit from improved positioning. Not working on it is leaving money on the table. There’s really no excuse not to put 10 minutes towards making yourself a better athlete.
January 25, 2011
Strength: Press 3-3-3-3-3
10 Hang Squat Cleans (60kg/45kg)
Paleo meal delivery is now available at CrossFit Fenway from Paleo Comfort Cuisine. Place orders by 9 PM on Sunday for Monday delivery at 5 PM, or by 9 PM Wednesday for 5 PM delivery on Thursday. These tasty, prepared meals eliminate any excuses between you and clean eating.
CrossFit Fenway has several teams competing in the CrossFit Newton Team Throwdown this Saturday, January 29th. Teams will be competing in up to 4 workouts beginning at 9 AM. Come out to support your CrossFit Fenway teammates, and maybe even get a JT lead, pre-throwdown, bodyweight invasion in while you’re at it.